Why Edit for Grammar Mistakes?
Presently like never before individuals are decided by the manner in which they compose, so figuring out how to compose accurately is imperative in school as well as in getting and keeping a steady employment. Utilizing these speedy 5 moves toward alter your language structure can assist you with slow bringing down and compose all the more cautiously. Try not to have a lot of time? Basically do stages 1-3 preceding you turn a paper in.
Truly need the most ideal grade? Do each of the 5 stages. The more you alter, the better your language will be. All the more significantly, when you alter your composition, you can find out about the missteps you make so you can keep away from them sometime later!
1. Use Computer Grammar Editing
You might have a hard time believing the number of understudies that neglect to do this undeniable initial step. Word handling programs are getting endlessly better at really taking a look at both spelling and language structure. I likewise use Grammarly and suggest that my understudies use it as well. While the free form of the program won’t find your mistakes as a whole, it can frequently assist you with rectifying a bigger number of blunders than your promise handling program alone. Even better, it could assist you with perceiving examples of successive mistakes you make.
Figure out how to utilize your statement handling sentence structure and spell-actually taking a look at program, and make certain to utilize it at both the start of your altering cycle and furthermore as the last step before your print or turn in your paper (on the off chance that your altering of syntax made you make a few mistakes). However, try not to naturally do every one of the redresses. This is the way to make it happen:
- Open up two copies of your document.
- Put your cursor at the top of one copy of the essay (so you are sure the whole document is checked) and then start the spell/grammar check program.
- Look at each correction the program suggests.
- If you know the correction is right, then let the program correct it.
- If you aren’t sure about the correction. Click “ignore” but go to your second copy of the essay and underline that section. If you want, you can also put in the correction the computer suggested in a highlighted section, or else a different color.
- When you are finished, check the suggestions you weren’t sure about with a friend, a writing instructor, your writing handbook or an online grammar guide.
- After you finish all the other steps, go back and use this spelling/grammar check one last time before you turn in your paper or print it out (especially if you’ve made a lot of changes).
2. Read Out Loud, Slowly
One of my best altering tips is to recite your paper without holding back, gradually. At the point when you read resoundingly, you delayed down and a great many people view much more mistakes as such. There are a few stunts to assist you with doing this successfully:
- Print off a hard copy of your paper. Studies show that we don’t read as carefully on a screen as we do on a paper copy.
- Read slowly. Our eyes skip over words as we read silently. Many of my students find most of their errors when they slow down and read aloud.
- You might even want to read to someone else (give them a copy too) so that you can both discuss anything which doesn’t sound right in your paper.
- As you read, notice if you are having trouble reading. If you are, there probably is a problem with that sentence. You might be missing a comma, or maybe the word order or word choice is awkward. Try to re-word sentences to make them clearer.
- Another tip? Some editors suggest reading backwards to try to catch errors.
3. Have a Friend Read for Errors
Have another person perused your paper utilizing my Companion Altering worksheet. Be certain you request that that individual gander at the spots you set apart as mistakes from your promise handling program. Ask your supervisor to particularly search for:
- Missing commas.
- Missing semicolons, colons, hyphens or other punctuation errors.
- Problems with verb tenses, passive voice or run-on sentences.
- Misused words or homonym switches (there/there is the most common).
- Places where your sentences sound awkward or they had to read twice to get the meaning.
- Sentences where you use slang, cliches, or words that sound like talking rather than something you would read in a book.
- Errors in parallel sentence structure in lists.
Not certain of the guidelines? You can look at my simple aides hyperlinked above, actually look at your reviewing handbook or look the standards on the web. You were most likely shown this large number of rules in school, yet you might have failed to remember some of them, or not completely gotten a handle on the best way to involve the guidelines in your composition. Rules about commas, parallelism, and word decision can get some margin to dominate yet they aren’t hard on the off chance that still up in the air to improve as an essayist. Not certain what you want the most assistance on? Ask your educator for thoughts on where to begin.
4. Check the First Words
Has your teacher advised you to utilize changes? Or on the other hand said that your sentences were abnormal or not successful? Altering the primary expressions of your sentence is the way to taking care of the two issues. This is the way to alter utilizing my “first words” system:
- Circle the first word of every sentence in a paragraph. Do you see some words that are the same? Each sentence should start with a different word.
- Mark the first words you need to change.
- Other sentences you need to change are any that start with words like But, And, So, This, and It.
5. Check for Word Choice Errors
Word processors can check a few kinds of mistakes and others you should see as all alone. Fortunately, large numbers of the most widely recognized sentence structure blunders undergrads make are something very similar. Assuming your teacher has stated “word decisions” on your paper, you can frequently further develop your sentence structure quite without any problem. Attempt the accompanying:
- Check the “As often as possible Abused Words” list. While this rundown isn’t every one of the mistakes school educators see, these are the most well-known, and that implies your teacher is on you like a falcon assuming they see them! Search for these words in your paper and ensure you’ve utilized them accurately.
- Check Action words out. Particularly assuming your educator expounded on issues with action word tense movements, glance through your paper and circle the action words. Ensure that you don’t change from present (presently) to past tense (previously), to future tense (not yet) without having motivation to do as such.
- Particular and Plural. All the more critically, be certain that the action word matches the subject. On the off chance that the subject is particular (one), the action word ought not be plural (mutiple).
- Focus on Teacher’s Remarks. In the event that you’ve gotten a reviewed paper back from your teacher, hope to see what word decision blunders were checked. Ensure you don’t make a similar blunder once more. Teachers who see you are attempting to improve and learn will give you a higher grade. On the off chance that you don’t figure out the imprints on your paper, make certain to inquire. On the off chance that your school has a composing lab for coaching, make certain to visit. Another smart thought is to get some margin to chat with your teacher previously or after class, or during available time. Feel free to pose inquiries about how you can get to the next level. Your educator will love to realize you need to chip away at your composition.